Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Different rules apply

In my house, different rules apply to different people. My family has no problem doing things without me, but god forbid they do something without someone else. For example, last Friday I had work until 2 p.m. While I was at work they decided to go to Dave and Buster's, which is all fine and dandy except that my dad won't even stop to eat at a restaurant or anything if my younger sister (she's 21) isn't there. This is the same guy who's rule used to be if you aren't there, you get nothing. Now, it's if Nikki isn't there, we don't do anything. Stupid I know. If I am not there though, the rules out the window.

Everyone seems to find their way to places I would like to go, but never seem to make it to. I work till 2 in the afternoon 5 days a week and my parents both work full time. There really are  only small windows of opportunity to do anything together. Despite all this, it seems I still miss out on all the fun. Then my sister gets angry that I go do things, like eating at certain restaurants or going to the movies, without her. Well, how am I supposed to go with her if she never wants to go? Not to mention forget about planning anything with her for the weekend. That's when her boyfriend comes home from college and they have to spend the whole weekend together, so heaven forbid you interrupt that.

My favorite example of this nonsense is last summer when my dad decided to go to the beach. All summer long he said we were going to go to Ocean City, Maryland for a few days. He asked everyone when they could go and I told him anytime before the second week of August, that was my first week of classes.  Guess when he scheduled the vacation. Yup, during that whole week- the one week of the summer I absolutely could not go. So they all went and had a great time. I worked and went to school and had to hear all about it when they got home.

This really isn't a big deal or even an important matter at all. I am just frustrated and needed to complain to get it out of my system. I can't expect everyone to mold their schedules to mine or that I won't miss doing things with my family. That's not realistic. But for a family hanging together by a thread, is it really that hard to work out a time when everyone that wants to participate in something can?

No comments:

Post a Comment